E-ServicesOnline Services - check plan review status or schedule inspections
The Building Permit Process
FirstComplete a Building Permit Application. Include the property folio number (13 digit number), found on property tax statement, online, or at the Miami-Dade County Property Appraiser’s office, 111 NW First Street, Seventh Floor. Permit applicant(s) signatures (Owner and Qualifier) must be notarized and include the property folio.
- Permit Application
- Owner/Builder Affidavit
- Contractor Registration
- Swimming Pool Barrier Certification
If the owner of the building is planning to complete the work himself or herself, then the owner-builder must attach proof of ownership (warranty deed or tax receipt) and sign the Owner/Builder Affidavit
Submit the permit application and two sets of plans to the City of Homestead for review. Plans are to include (as applicable) site plan, survey, floor plan with location of plumbing and electrical fixtures, mechanical details, elevations, electrical service panel, cross sections of structural walls with details of materials and fasteners, roof framing plan, energy calculation (when new structures, or additions are air conditioned), etc.
- Upon submitting your complete permit application and plans for review to the city, a permit clerk will provide you with a processing number. The permit clerk will enter the information provided on your application into the computer and keep your plans for routing through processing. Permit applications are processed Monday through Friday, between 7:30 am and 4:30 pm.
- Building Services may then direct you to pay an upfront fee for reviewing your plans. Projects such as new construction and interior remodels will require an upfront fee to be paid at the time of submittal.
- Plan reviews will be completed in several days. Residential permits take approximately 10 working days and commercial permits take approximately 10 working days. These time projections are for initial reviews only. You will be notified once processing is complete or if any corrections are needed.
- Depending on your project, additional reviews, such as Miami-Dade County Fire Department (FIRE), Miami-Dade County Water and Sewer Department (WASD), and Miami-Dade County Department of Environmental Resources Management (DERM), may be required by Miami-Dade County. Once the City of Homestead has conducted its initial review, it is the applicant’s responsibility to pick up and deliver their plans for Miami-Dade County Department Reviews. For further information regarding Miami-Dade County reviews, please contact Miami-Dade County Department of Regulatory and Economic Resources at (786) 315-2000, or visit them at 11805 SW 26 Street Miami, FL 33175-2474.
- After the county has signed off on the applicant’s plans, the applicant may return their plans to the City of Homestead.
After all reviews are completed and approved, the applicant may pay the permit fee and the permit card will be issued.