Vice Mayor Patricia Fairclough-Staggers
Current & Previous Experience
Vice Mayor Patricia Fairclough-Staggers was elected to a two-year term as Vice Mayor in November 2019, as well as a four-year term as Councilwoman in Council Seat #6. She was first elected to council in November 2011 to serve a four-year term in Council Seat #6. She was subsequently elected to serve a two-year term as Vice Mayor in November 2015, as well as a four-year term as Councilwoman in Council Seat #6. She is daughter of the late Barbara and Dennis Fairclough. Councilwoman Fairclough-Staggers is the chair of the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Grants Liaison, the Community Relations Board, the Mayor’s Youth Council and the Human Resources Liaison. She is also the chair of the Education Committee.
Current Appointments to Boards & Committees
Vice Mayor Patricia Fairclough-Staggers is a member of the following professional and community associations:
- Dade Association for School Administrators (DASA)
- Fabulous Women Doing Fabulous Things Board M
- Florida Education Association
- Florida Parent Teachers Association
- International Reading Association
- National Board Certified Teachers of Miami, Inc
- National Educational Association
- State of Florida Commissioner of Education’s Teacher Advisory Task Force
- United Teachers of Dade (UTD)
- Fire Pension Board Liason
- Human Resources Liason
- Mayor's Youth Council
Vice Mayor Fairclough-Staggers was born and raised in the Southwest Homestead Gardens Housing Development where, along with her twin brother, she was the youngest of six siblings. She attended West Homestead Elementary and Homestead Middle School. As a young girl, she also volunteered to serve as a role model to peers her age in a Miami-Dade Department of Juvenile Justice Program.
She attended South Dade Senior High for her freshman and sophomore years, where she ran track, played basketball, and sang in the school’s gospel choir. During her final two years at Homestead Senior High School, where she later graduated, Vice Mayor Fairclough-Staggers led a group of at-risk girl’s step team to a national title. She won college scholarships from Alpha Delta Kappa and Alpha Kappa Alpha Sororities, Inc. which assisted her with financial aid to help her through college.
- 2001 - Graduated with honors from Florida A & M University in Tallahassee with a bachelors degree in Elementary Education and started career in education as a teacher at Air Base Elementary’s Magnet School of International Education
- 2007 - Received a MS. ED in Reading Education K-12 from Nova Southeastern University
- 2009 - Obtained an Educational Specialist degree in Educational Leadership.
- 2009 – February, awarded Miami-Dade County Public Schools Teacher of the Year and was a semifinalist for the State of Florida Department of Education and Macy’s Teacher of the Year. Promoted to reading coach at Air Base Elementary while serving as Teacher of the Year
- 2010 - Began serving as reading coach and community involvement specialist at Gloria Floyd Elementary.
- Currently - Serves as Assistant Principal at Pine Lake Elementary and as a dynamic instructional leader
Other Elected Officials
View other details on the public elected officials serving the City of Homestead.